Henry Porter recently criticised Britain’s border security as “nasty and absurd” and surmised “there is clearly some
kind of campaign against poets with strange sounding names and of Muslim
origin.” This week, Immigration Minister Phil Woolas described the criticism as “at best naive, and at worst designed to
deliberately misinform people.” “Immigration rules are designed to be firm but fair [and] they apply to everyone regardless
of race, gender, age, or background,” he added.
On 29 February 2008, the UK introduced a new points-based immigration system “to ensure only those
with the right skills or the right contribution can come to the UK to work or
The system has three key elements:
- It combines more than 80 previous work and study routes to the UK into five
- Points are awarded according to workers’ & students’ attributes, to reflect their aptitude,
experience and age and also the demand for those skills in any given sector.
- Increased transparency allows potential migrants to assess the likelihood of
a successful application, which should reduce the number of failed
The Five Tiers of the Points-Based System
Additional Information & Advice
You can obtain additional information about uk work visas and immigration on
Depending on your circumstances, however, you may want to speak with a
solicitor who specialises in immigration law. You can be matched with a
solicitor in your area for free via solicitor matching services, which can
also help you to understand the best course of action and whether you are ready
to hire a solicitor.
You may also like:
- Health and Safety: Alton Towers owner pleads guilty to health…
- Guest Blog: Cohabiting couples, their rights and the common law…
- International: Virginia governor overturns law to allow convicted criminals to…
- Law and government: Councils appeal for increased powers to limit…
- Legal Aid: New report shows rise in DIY defence since…
If you cannot find what you are looking for on Findlaw.co.uk please let us know by contacting us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Furthermore, please be aware that while we attempt to ensure all our information is as up-to-date and relevant as possible occasionally some our articles may no longer be accurate.