Immigration 101: Student Visa Sponsors – Part 1 (#43)

Immigration 101: Student Visa Sponsors – Part 1 (#43)

Only offering
acceptable courses of study are eligible to be .  The only exceptions are
as follows:

  • The Foundation Programme Office may sponsor migrants on the two-year
    Foundation Programme for postgraduate doctors and dentists.

  • Where the migrant’s programme of study forms part of an overseas degree
    course, the prospective sponsor in the United Kingdom can be an organisation
    linked by common ownership or control to the overseas university.  But the UK
    Border Agency (UKBA) may ask for proof of these links before they will consider
    granting a sponsor licence.

What education providers must show

Education providers seeking a sponsor licence must show that:

  • they have been inspected, audited or reviewed by an appropriate body (if
    they are subject to public review);

  • they hold valid accreditation from an appropriate body (if they are not
    subject to public review); or

  • they directly offer short-term ‘study abroad’ programmes in their own
    premises in the United Kingdom (if they are an overseas higher education

See below for more information about these requirements.

Procedures are in place for the UKBA’s approved accreditation bodies to
promptly inform them if a provider’s accreditation is removed and to act quickly
to check on education providers if the UKBA report concerns.  If a provider
needs accreditation but subsequently loses it, the UKBA will withdraw their
sponsor licence.

Inspection or auditing

If a provider is subject to public review, they must show that they have been
inspected or audited by:

  • the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) –
    for institutions across the United Kingdom;

  • the Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted);
  • Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Education – for institutions in Scotland;
  • Estyn – for institutions in Wales;
  • the Education and Training Inspectorate – for institutions in Northern
    Ireland; or

  • the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI).


If a provider is a private higher education institution and not subject
to public review, but they subscribe privately to the QAA, they must submit
evidence of their last QAA inspection report.   Some organisations receive
public funding from the QAA because they deliver some of their programmes in
partnership with a degree-awarding higher education institute.  However, this
funding is for students on a particular programme – it is not funding for the
institution, and therefore does not meet UKBA requirements.

[Continued in ]

Other Links:

If you cannot find what you are looking for on please let us know by contacting us at:
Furthermore, please be aware that while we attempt to ensure all our information is as up-to-date and relevant as possible occasionally some our articles may no longer be accurate.