A Government scheme reminiscent of former U.S. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s New Deal programme went live yesterday.
As part of the Young Person’s Guarantee, all jobseekers aged 18-24 who have been unemployed for six months or more can demand a job, training or work experience.
About the Young Person’s Guarantee:
The Young Person’s Guarantee offers:
- the opportunity to apply for new jobs created through the £1bn Future Jobs Fund;
- extra training and support to get an existing job – with help especially targeted at key employment sectors with high levels of recruitment;
- work-focused training;
- a place on a Community Task Force;
- help with self-employment; &
- internships for Graduates and non-Graduates.
Tailored training for a wide range of sectors is available across the country to help young people get a foot in the door. And all young people will have access to Jobcentre Plus Personal Advisers under the scheme.
Latest figures reveal 100,000 jobseekers already qualify for help.
And over the next 15 months the Department of Work and Pensions will provide an additional 470,000 job and training opportunities to support the scheme.
Work and Pensions Secretary Yvette Cooper had this to say:
“Extra investment has proved critical in keeping unemployment 450,000 lower than forecast.
“Even though unemployment fell recently, now is not the time to make cuts – we must ensure young people do not suffer the scarring effects of long term unemployment.
“Extra help is already available to young people and many thousands more are in work, education or training as a result.
“But we want to guarantee every young person the right support.
“That’s why this guarantee is starting now, as school leavers and graduates from last summer who couldn’t find work because of the recession start to approach six months unemployment.”
Ms. Cooper called on businesses to keep Backing Young Britain by creating more opportunities for young people and promised to support any business that provides a young person with a job, apprenticeship or internship.
You may also like:
- International: Sudanese teenager risks twenty lashes for ‘indecent dressing’
- Benefits law: Over 80 people a month died after being…
- Environmental law: WWF threatens legal action against government for failing…
- International: Twelve detained after Tianjin blasts
- European law: Google hits out at European Commission