Four former social workers sacked for distributing an email containing a gag about convicted paedophile Gary Glitter have launched claims for unfair dismissal before an employment tribunal in Glasgow.
Jim Wilson, South Lanarkshire Council’s head of adult and older people services, told the tribunal that he dismissed Deborah Reilly, Angela Nelson, Anne Lang and Rosemary Boyle in November 2008 after he discovered that they had emailed a picture of Glitter carrying a bag with a youngster inside “as you would do with whatever you collected from duty free.”
At least nine council workers were suspended for “inappropriate use of the council’s email system” following an investigation in late 2008, but only four were shown to have actually forwarded the picture.
Mr Wilson said that forwarding the email was “totally inappropriate particularly for someone involved in social care”.
Three of the women worked at the council’s Rutherglen office near Glasgow, while Ms Boyle worked in the social work department in Blantyre, Lanarkshire. They argue that the council overreacted in firing them.
Rather than make light of what Glitter did, the women claim that the image showing Glitter holding a bag with a superimposed child inside was “like putting him in the stocks and throwing eggs at him”.
All four of them are expected to give evidence when the tribunal resumes later this year.
- South Lanarkshire staff challenge Gary Glitter sacking (BBC News)
- Unfair dismissal law (Findlaw.co.uk)
- Employment law Q&A (Community)
- Employment law news (The Solicitor)
- Find an employment solicitor (Contact Law)
You may also like:
- Property law: Landlords now expected to carry out tenant immigration…
- Negligence law: Family of Raoul Moat victim lose negligence claim
- Business law: London law firms charging up to £1,100 per…
- Terrorism: British mother sentenced to six years’ imprisonment for joining…
- Business law: Enterprise Bill gives local councils powers to relax…
If you cannot find what you are looking for on Findlaw.co.uk please let us know by contacting us at: email@example.com.
Furthermore, please be aware that while we attempt to ensure all our information is as up-to-date and relevant as possible occasionally some our articles may no longer be accurate.