The internet has made watching and downloading films so easy that not all films available online are there legally. TorrentFreak, a news blog about BitTorrents and file sharing, releases a yearly top ten list of the most pirated films.
The numbers show that illegal downloads have been increasing every year, and that in 2010 there was the most downloads of a film in a single year. This dubious award was given to the number one most pirated film ever, Avatar.
One film in the 2010 list that didn’t make it onto the most pirated ever list, The Hurt Locker, proved far more successful as an illegal download than at the box office. As a result, the filmmakers sued thousands of people alleged to have used BitTorrent to share files.
Top ten most pirated films:
- Avatar grossed $2.7 billion worldwide, claiming the title of highest-grossing film of all time. But it is also the most downloaded film of 2010 with 16.5 million downloads.
- Kick-Ass was downloaded some 11.4 million times in 2010.
- Star Trek was the most downloaded film in 2009 at 10.9 million.
- Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen had 10.6 million downloads the year it was released.
- Inception was a box office success, making $82.5million. It was downloaded 9.7 million times.
- Shutter Island, another DiCaprio film, had 9.5 million downloads in 2010.
- Guy Ritchie’s Rock ‘n’ Rolla proved popular with pirates, being downloaded 9.4 million times.
- The Hangover was downloaded 9.1 million times.
- Iron Man 2 was downloaded 8.8 million times but made $62.1 million in ticket sales.
- Twilight grossed $70.9 million at the box office but was still downloaded 8.7 million times.
If you are caught illegally downloading films and music you could potentially face fines of thousands of pounds. If you are also redistributing material and making money out of it, you could face imprisonment.
Read more on this story (Yahoo!)
What are the dangers of illegally downloading MP3s, films, etc? (FindLaw)
Find local specialist solicitors throughout the UK (FindLaw)
You may also like:
- Criminal law: Trader found guilty of LIBOR rigging
- International: German prosecutor accuses government of interference over treason case
- Immigration law: refused asylum seekers will be stripped of automatic…
- Immigration law: Government plans to evict illegal immigrants without a…
- Criminal law: Child sex abuse victims receive reduced compensation after…